Saturday, August 16, 2014

Practice, Practice, Practice

Sometimes I wish we were all slightly more automated, just push a button and download the information into our mental hard-drive -- kind of like they did in the Matrix movies… “I know Kung-fu!”  But nooooo, you have to keep working at it, constantly.  Practice, practice, practice.  At my age sometimes it feels like it’s not as much about getting better than it is just not losing what you’ve already got.  The Law of Diminishing Returns keeps trying to raise its ugly head, but I’m playing Wack-a-Mole with that mother.  In truth, it’s actually a very stimulating exercise practicing that mental discipline to play music every day, to improve on what you did before, to learn a new tune, to expand on an existing arrangement, to write a new song.  Hell, who needs Lumosity?

I am more and more coming to understand the magnitude of that old saying, “…luck is preparation meeting opportunity.  The more you’re prepared, the luckier you get.”  It only took me (insert no. here) years to figure that out.  Hmm.


Well anyway, the songs are coming along quite well, and my dedication to the process is starting to pay off.  The big focus at the moment is staying in the NOW while I play, and not allowing stray thoughts to creep in and distract my mental focus in the moment.  The truth is, we as Soul essence, are not our thoughts.  We can claim a thought as much as we want but the cosmic stream of consciousness is connected to us all, or more accurately, we are connected to It.  So my practice is as much about mental discipline as it is about learning new music.  Funny how everything you do has a spiritual significance, a life lesson attached.  That’s one thing I love about life, there’s always a plus element; you never stop learning (re-learning).  In truth, the knowledge has always been there, we’re just re-membering it.  Well, got one more song to work on, so I’m out for now.  Until next time, you decide what you want to think next.  Later.

No comments:

Post a Comment